What is the Readmobile?
The Readmobile is a repurposed FedEx truck emblazoned with our Read20 logo and other brightly colored book-related graphics, and its loaded with books – which are given out free of charge, one book per student, to young readers from infancy through 5th grade – as part of a “Readmobile visit.”
A Readmobile visit is all about sharing the love of books and stories through a guided read aloud ‘session’ where both student and storyteller immerse themselves in a chosen book or books. Together they will explore the words, concepts, plot elements, and the multitude of real life challenges, or imagined situations, that can be introduced and explored through children’s literature.
There are no fees or charges associated with a Readmobile visit, but we do have a few guidelines designed to make the visit a high quality educational experience:
- Ideally, a read aloud session should be limited to about 30 students (or less) at a time, with no more than 2 years age difference in a given group. Although we occasionally accommodate larger school audiences, the smaller the group, the more interactive and impactful the experience will be.
- If you have more than 30 students, not to worry! We can visit with multiple classrooms at a given school in a single day, and often the Readmobile will visit larger schools over multiple days in order to read with all the students. Please understand we wish to create the best reading & listening environment for our children and their reader.
- All locations should have an appropriate space for students to gather for a read-aloud. This is preferably indoors except in great weather, and in a setting with minimal distractions – like a classroom or library.
- The group will need continuous adult supervision from the teachers or adults normally in charge. It is difficult for Mr. Stewart to facilitate a quality read aloud experience and manage disruptive behaviors at the same time. Teachers and administrators are always welcome to participate in and enjoy the group discussions.
- A typical session will last about 30-45 minutes depending on the age and maturity of the students.
- Mr. Stewart is happy to choose from his extensive collection of age-appropriate stories that relate to your curriculum or other subject matter you desire for the students. Please inform Mr. Stewart at the time of scheduling or prior to the date of the visit about any special considerations you might desire.
- The Readmobile is very popular! Please make your request at least 4-6 weeks in advance. It’s also very LARGE – roughly 25 feet long, 10 feet high by 7 feet wide. Please make sure we have adequate space for parking and easy in and out access!
If you have questions or need additional information, please contact our Readmobile Coordinator, Stewart Payne at 423 443-2527, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the Read 20 office at 423 209-6190.