What is the Readmobile?
The Readmobile is a repurposed FedEx truck emblazoned with our Read20 logo and other brightly colored book-related graphics, and its loaded with books – which are given out free of charge, one book per student, to young readers from infancy through 5th grade – as part of a “Readmobile visit.” Since its inception in June, 2008, through mid April, 2021, The Readmobile has conducted in-person read-alouds with 349,026 students for 7,985 hours, and distributed 574,465 Books to area students and families!
A Readmobile Visit is all about sharing the love of books and stories through a guided read aloud ‘session’ where both student and storyteller immerse themselves in a chosen book or books. Together they will explore the words, concepts, plot elements, and the multitude of real life challenges or imagined situations that can be introduced and explored through children’s literature.
There are no fees or charges associated with a Readmobile visit, but we do have a few guidelines designed to make the visit a high quality educational experience:
- Ideally, a read aloud session should be limited to about 30 school aged students at a time (or considerably less in the preschool grades), with no more than 2 years age difference in a given group. Although we occasionally accommodate larger school assembly audiences, the smaller the group, the more interactive and impactful the experience will be.
- If you have more than 30 students, not to worry! We can visit with multiple classrooms at a given school in a single day, and often the Readmobile will visit larger schools over multiple days in order to read with all the students. Please understand we wish to create the best reading & listening environment for our children and their reader.
- All locations should have an appropriate space for students to gather for a read-aloud. This is preferably indoors except in great weather, and in a setting with minimal distractions – like a classroom or library.
- The group will need continuous adult supervision from the teachers or adults normally in charge. Listeners do better when they get consistent leadership and behavioral expectations from their normal teachers and caregivers. Teachers, caregivers, and administrators are always welcome to participate in and enjoy the group discussions!
- A typical session will last from 15-45 minutes depending on the age and maturity of the students.
- Mr. Stewart is happy to choose from his extensive collection of age-appropriate stories that relate to your curriculum or other subject matter you desire for the students. Please inform Mr. Stewart at the time of scheduling or prior to the date of the visit about any special considerations you might desire.
- The Readmobile is very popular! Please make your request at least 4-6 weeks in advance. It’s also very LARGE – roughly 25 feet long, 10 feet high by 7 feet wide. Please make sure we will have adequate space for access and parking!
- Students are generally NOT invited onto the Readmobile for the safety of all involved.
If you have questions, or wish to schedule a visit, please contact our Readmobile Coordinator, Stewart Payne at 423 443-2527, or via email at email@example.com,