Fun Sites For Kids
- Starfall – Learn to read by playing games. Materials are phonetically based and teach the letter names and sounds, bridging into blending and reading.
- FunBrain – Fun educational games divided by age group. Enhances skills of those already reading.
- Kids’ Place from Education – Presented by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Company. Fun learning games coordinate with trade books. Also geography, spelling, brain teasers and more. Provides web links and activities for parents to use to develop reading skills based on themes.
- PBS – Variety of games that are tied to favorite PBS characters.
- Primary Games – Fun games for reading, videos and action games. Provides curriculum guides for teachers to match games to their curriculum.
- Reading is Fundamental – Watch and listen to animated books, play writing and reading games, and color pages online.
- ABCYA – Educational games selected by grade levels, K-5.
- Reading is Fundamental: Babies,Toddlers & Preschoolers – Suggests types of books for each stage of development and tips for reading with your child. Includes games and activities.
- Scholastic Books – Captain Underpants, Goosebumps, Harry Potter, they all have games and fun stuff here.
- Random House Children’s Books – Includes games downloads, and parent tips to help make reading more meaningful and fun.
- Get Ready to Read – Provides skill-building activities and games. Also provides parental tips and screening tools. Useful for learning-disabled individuals, too.
- Award Winning Books – Provides information on books that have won awards such as Caldecott and Newberry. Lists winners from 2002 to present. Tells why prizes are important and where books may be found.
- Reading Rainbow – Provides a link for parents to download an app to their iPad which will allow children to view books and videos.
HEAR A STORY ONLINE
- Stories Online – The Screen Actors Guild Foundation records well-known actors reading children’s books and makes graphically dynamic videos so that children around the world can be read to with just the click of a Storyline Online video book image.
- Story Place – Listen to a story online. Play games and activities based on a theme.
- Zingertales – Listen to a story being told online. Each story has a list of book suggestions. If you like the story, you might like the book, too.
READ A STORY ONLINE
- Between the Lions – Based on popular PBS show. Stories are read online. Each story has games that accompany the story.
- The International Children’s Digital Library – Online children’s books from all over the world. Has books in English and dozens of other languages.
- Seussville – Official site of Dr. Seuss and the Cat in the Hat featuring games, printable activities, and complete illustrator character guides; information about creator Dr. Theodore Geisel.